Composition of Two Genres

By Christiana Johnson

First genre; Social Media Post

The men’s rights movement isn’t getting as much attention as the feminism movement. There are scarcely any articles, research, or studies done for men’s rights. I chose to use Twitter because it is a site used by people of various ages, statuses, or careers. It is also the platform where news-related, or activist-related news is usually posted. Nowadays generation z and millennials go to get their news rather than watch the news. Also, when scrolling through Tiktok, Facebook, Instagram, one would notice that most Twitter posts are retweeted or shared on those platforms when someone wants to speak on a cause. This would back up my purpose of trying to reach a large audience to spark awareness. There would need to be an increase in awareness of the issue for research and studies to be done on it. The research will be used to fight for change politically, socially, and economically. With this, it can be said that the audience I am specifically trying to target is the younger generations such as generation z and millennials. The use of emojis as well as “y’all” supports this claim. Emojis and slang like “y’all”, especially in northern and eastern regions, are used by younger generations. The use of emojis also depicts the mood and tone of the post. The emojis depict that I am using a displeased and annoyed tone. The skull emoji depicts a serious tone as I mention statics for imprisonment.  The word “Y’all” also depicts the use of judgment tone as they point the finger at those who support feminism. This tone supports the claim that feminists and those who blindly support it are at fault for the issues men face.  I also going for the feminists as their audience as they mention feminism. The serious, displeased, and judgmental tone shows that I want my targeted audience, generation z, millennials, and feminism supporter, to do research before making blinding claims that depict that men’s so-called privilege override the problems they face in the system

Second genre; Powerpoint presentation:

https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1BTqfER2pWo36oKEkogbexVOFN1A3QEJRuuM7yyU4im4/edit#slide=id.p

PowerPoints are used during proposals of ideas and as well as education. I use a lot of statistics in their PowerPoint slides. With this one can say that I am planning to present this PowerPoint slide at colleges as a guest speaker. Statistics are used to prove a point. It is used as evidence to back up one’s argument.  Therefore, it would be used in educational facilities rather than just anywhere because there are not people who understand the weight of the statistics and what it means for the population in it. It shows that my main targets are generation z and millennials. Since the older generation of feminists refused to see the statistics that show the problem men face, educating the new generation since they are in the stage of learning. The general tone is informative. They have mostly explained statistics as he mentions several types of issues as well as statistics. The tone in the third slide is judgmental. In that slide, they are pointing the finger at feminists. The Image with Emilly Swaven’s post is a perfect choice on that slide to prove my point. This would mean there is dedicating that slide to feminists while explaining, to the target audience, how it shows what it is causing many women to believe. The image of the news report is to show the audience a visual of what is really happening to men. In these images, the women are more of a targeted audience than men. This is because it is a woman who makes such a post stating that men should accept false accusations, and it is a woman ruining a black boy’s life. It is to show women the power they have been given by feminism, but I want to educate them not to use this power to ruin men to drive towards true equality. The use of tweets also on the slide is used to capture the attention of young audiences such as college students. Social media is the number one go-to when it comes to younger generations. That’s where they go to get all their information. The picture of the college student who was falsely accused of rape supports the targeted audience. To see someone who is just like them fall from grace to grass would touch them better than if it was someone older.  The purpose of this PowerPoint is to educate and inform college students, the next generation of doctors, lawyers, and politicians, about how extreme feminism is blinding the issues of men’s rights.

Reflection:

I really enjoyed this writing process because I get to talk about something that I am passionate about. I thought it would be like another essay but this one was more fun and interesting approach to this process. I was placed in the sitting of an author or those who post opinions on social media. I never post anything on the internet but sitting to write a post really made me think about the risk many people take when it comes to posting opinions on sensitive issues. I thought about the backlash I can receive from many others for what I stand for. It also made me think about how careful I must be when going after a group. Making sure that I was not disrespecting them while trying to get my message across. I also had to make sure the point was clear cause any wrong step can be used against you once you end up in a debate with someone else. PowerPoint was more of work than fun, but I still enjoyed it because I got to do research and get educated on what I am passionate about. I learned a lot. I did not know about all these statistics when it came to suicide, crimes, imprisonment, and homelessness. The only one I am familiar with is child support and abuse. This made me watch a video compilation of men tackling feminism and shutting them down which just made me happy. I am so passionate because I have three brothers and one day, they are going to be out in the world so now I can defend them with facts.